We're now entering the 38th week of pregnancy and all is still going well. Chris & Maureen bought us a ton of stuff from our Amazon baby registry (thanks guys!), which we really didn't expect.
I had 7am starts this past weekend, so was free at 4pm each day to enjoy the evening with Beth. On Saturday evening, on the spur of the moment, we headed off to The Original Roadhouse Grill for supper, and only had to wait 1/2 hour to get a table. Afterwards we popped into the Gateway Mall so I could check out some model cars, and Beth found her pulse accelerating. A minor worry, we headed home and rested, Beth's pulse slowed, and her blood sugar level slowly dropped back to acceptable levels. We put this jolt down to the huge amount of sugar that Americans put in their restaurant meals, and especially some baked beans that Beth had. Happily Fish was unaffected by all the shennanigins, and the next morning while I was at work Beth had her scheduled midwife appointment, so the midwife was able to analyse the issue and reassure us. No more baked beans in sugar sauce, or meals out most likely, until after the birth.
On Sunday evening we managed an hour's ride on our bicycles, passing the Elementary school where Fish will eventually start learning in earnest. Beth continues to suffer aches and pains due to loosening ligaments and stiffening muscles, while I am still suffering the after effects of the bout of 'flu I had in the last full week of February. Mutual massage, and for me hot showers, help ease the symptoms.
Beth adds:
Yes, here I was thinking that I was making reasonable choices for dinner based on what I know I can and can't eat at home, and I completely forgot that the stuff I have at home IS at home because it's got reasonably low amounts of sugar in it! Not all baked beans are created equal. I was feeling very sick during the mall visit, and had Martin drive home because I honestly wasn't sure whether I might vomit or pass out or something. (I tucked a plastic bag next to my seat in the car, just in case...)
My two hour blood sugar reading was 179, which I think is the highest I have ever had, including after the intentionally sugar-filled diagnostic meals of January. The midwife said that the effects I felt was a combination of having a ton of sugar in the meal and the fact that my system is no longer used to having that level of sugar, hence the racing heart. She also said that it would have had to be over 200 to be full diabetes, so that's something I guess. That, plus the fact that I've never experienced racing heart after eating out prior to pregnancy, despite having had TONS of sugary meals (or meal-sized snacks involving baked goods, mmm) in the past, gives me hope that I won't be insulin resistant anymore after the baby is born - but as people who have these troubles in pregnancy are more prone to developing them in "real life" later anyway, I will still be permanently adopting some healthier habits. But I will also enjoy baked goods to the full!
37 week midwife appointment went well. My blood pressure is ever-so-slightly higher than usual, but still very close to normal levels (I think it was 130 over 77) and some of that might have been due to my concerns over the sugar-fest of the night before. Pulse was good, both mine and Fish's. Fish is in a good position, with head starting to peek past my pelvic bones, and his or her left-lying position will work well with the natural twist that the uterine muscles will add into the mix during labour, to help Fish face my back which is the optimal position.
The aches (which come and go) and fatigue have definitely increased in the past week but I've actually had worse pains (and known people with much worse and chronic pains) so I don't really feel it's worth complaining about. People at work are starting to ask how I'm feeling, but I'm not sure how much complaining or brushing-off-of-problems is socially expected! Someone asked me in the elevator on Friday whether I was uncomfortable and I said "no, not really", mostly because I didn't want to get into particularly detailed conversations about it. I guess even now I am playing the details close to the chest!
Yes, I know that because I've experienced it. Not insulin/sugar issues per se, but when you change your diet so that you've eliminated foods to which you are sensitive, then add them back, suddenly, after a couple weeks or so off, the effect will hit you like a barrel of bricks.
ReplyDeleteI cannot tolerate milk (the proteins in it, such as casein.) The first time I went off it entirely, many years ago, I retained a naive hope that perhaps I could still consume goats' milk. So, after a few weeks off milk, I bought a quart. It tasted so good I drank the whole thing. That migraine lasted 3 not-fun days.
I am not a big sugar eater, but when I go overboard, it positively tanks me.