Days I still have left at work, that is. Two days off, two on, two off again (booked as vacation so I wouldn't have to work through the weekend again), four on (but with nice not-too-early-not-too-late hours), and that's it - time to sit back and wait for the baby to come.
Baby gear has been arriving from all quarters in the last couple of weeks, including a huge package (via Amazon) from Beth's brother Chris, and a ton of baby clothes from one of her co-workers which will all be tremendously useful (and cost at least $200 if bought new). The days off I have between now and delivery day will include continued baby-proofing and preparing of the house, though we know that a newborn doesn't immediately start delving into the chemicals cupboard under the sink.
Fish has been reasssuringly active as usual, last evening giving wobbles, stretches, and possibly kicks, in response to my voice as Beth and I chatted and I had my hand on her bump. Fish is very well positioned, head down, back to the left and feet poking Beth just under her right-side ribs, in what I am informed is a Left Occupit Anterior position, like this->
Hard to believe we have only two weeks to go to scheduled launch date.
Schroedinger's Baby
I'll mention here that I really don't care if we have a boy or a girl, and just as well since I have no choice in the matter. However right now we have a virtual boy-or-girl, and I've been musing in idle moments for many months on potential future conversations, shopping trips, days out and what-all-else I might have with my son-or-daughter. After birth we'll fix that virtual girl-or-boy into an actual boy or girl, and somehow I'll have lost a virtual the-other-sort, which I feel will lead (for me) to a passing pang of disappointment that I don't have a whatever-it-was-we-didn't-have.
This is very silly and illogical, probably, but there you go, the thought is there. I suspect that the P. of D., as Bertie Wooster might have put it, will by very fleeting, and soon lost in the wash of joy that I have an XX, or an XY, or whatever we have (might be a ZZ). We hope to eventually have a second baby, and with luck it'll be the-other-sort, but that will be in the lap of the baby-sex-decision-vapors. I was the third of three sons for my mother, and her sister had three girls, my mother was one of two girls and my father one of two boys, so the Latham/Milner side of the family don't have a great record on boy/girl splits.
We're still better off than a couple of mothers Beth knows (through internet groups) who were told they were having girls, but actually gave birth to boys. This lack of successful reading of the ultrasounds is a fractional part of why we chose not to find out before birth. I think the P. of D. would be much worse if I was promised one and got the other.
No comments:
Post a Comment