Sunday, March 18, 2012

No change, but lots of preparation

No, I'm not in labour yet. (People at work are starting to look surprised when they see I'm still there.) In future days, if you are wondering whether or not I've had the baby yet, please refer to this handy reference page for the latest news.

Martin booked this weekend off so we would have time together for some last minute preparations round the house. We've done multiple shopping trips to ensure that there are ample post-birth food supplies in the house. (I am pleased to report that said supplies include both a custom box of mixed chocolates from See's Candies and a quart or so of banana-and-banana-and-brownie ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery. Gotta keep Mom happy, you know.) We've reviewed the stages of labour, sorted out the various bits and pieces of our baby bottles and washed them, installed the car seat base and viewing mirrors, and I got my summer-short-haircut a few months early, so I don't have to worry about washing/drying long hair with a newborn in the house.



We also finally got around to taking our annual anniversary picture in front of the house. Oh well, so it's six weeks overdue. At least we took it! There are two cats hidden in the photo...one more effectively than the other:



We've also packed just-in-case hospital bags (except for the stuff we are still using so can't pack away) so that we have one less thing to think about in the event that the midwife says she advises a transfer to hospital. If this does happen it's unlikely to be an emergency situation, but I am also likely to be completely exhausted and not thinking particularly clearly, so it'll be nice to have at least part of it sorted out.

One of the things we had to pack, according to the list we got on the hospital tour, is an outfit for the baby to come home in. I've packed two of different sizes (in case we do indeed get Fish-the-giraffe), but accidentally triggered a case of loss emotions when I looked at them sitting on the bag. I know that the odds are VERY much in favour of us bringing home a healthy baby, but I may never shake the "what if" feeling that has dogged me since our first miscarriage back in 2008. I know, I know. But when all the labour prep books talk about dealing with your birthing fears, I'm pretty sure they're talking about people being afraid of pain or of c-sections or of loss of privacy/dignity...and not loss of life.

Only a week (or three...) more and then I only have to worry about all of life's hazards OUTSIDE the womb. I have to hope that that will be easier to handle!

No comments:

Post a Comment