Monday, January 9, 2012

Can they sense the difference?

"They" in this instance is "the cats". Or more specifically, Ghost, our two year old would-have-gone-feral black cat whom we found as a kitten when we first moved here.

Starting three or four months ago, he suddenly decided that he wanted to sit on me. But laps aren't sufficient. He wants to sit as close to my face as possible. When lying on my back in bed, this sometimes involves some adjustment on both of our parts and I guide him away from tender areas. This past weekend, I was lying on my side on the sofa, and he decided he wanted to join in:



After this was taken, he managed to snuggle even closer. He only stayed for a few minutes, though - he never stays in direct person-contact for very long, as opposed to our other two lap-monopolizers.

Speaking of, Elbie also showed a strange behaviour change twice this year. During both of this year's pregnancies, in that two week span of time between ovulation and getting the positive test, he wanted to sleep next to my torso on the bed at night. He didn't do this before, and he has rarely (once?) done it since, generally preferring to acquire the bed after it's been vacated for the day.

It does make you wonder if they can tell something is different!

(PS - 29 weeks today :D )

3 comments:

  1. Love the photo! You're glowing :) only 11 more weeks....it goes fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...I think it's the cat proximity that makes the glow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not recall that my cats ever took a particular interest in my pregnancies. Our little bobtail female kitty (no longer with us,) who was otherwise a bit shy, loved babies and always wanted to be in the room with them. Once I had a La Leche League meeting at my house (moms bring babies,) and that was the only time she chose to be in a room with so many strangers.
    I understand that dolphins are very sensitive to human pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete