Friday, January 27, 2012

Are You Ready for Some Football (Holds)?

In my online March group people are starting to panic about discuss the fact that within a few weeks they will be bringing home a baby. Someone posted asking if the rest of us feel ready, and the answers are varied. I liked one which said she was ready to no longer be pregnant (boy I can relate! but that's a future post) but her apartment was nowhere near ready.

We’re moderately ready, I think:
  • I finished washing all the baby clothes last night but have not washed our cloth diapers or really learned how to do them fully. We have a couple of packs of newborn disposables for the first few days to ease the learning curve.
  • The dresser we ordered as a changing table hasn’t arrived yet, and I’m supposed to make a protective wooden top for it with a rim (well, direct Martin on how to use my tools to make it) once it’s here.
  • One of the two car seat bases is in Martin’s car but I haven't put one in mine yet, and neither of them have been checked by the Fire Department - that'll happen at the end of February.
  • I haven’t learned how to breastfeed, don’t have a pump yet, have bottles but not enough nipples, and we haven’t decided on an acceptable “emergency formula” which Martin would like to have in the house just in case.
  • We don’t have the crib yet (It's ordered and ready, we just have put actually receiving it on hold due to my varying ability to believe it's actually going to happen this time) but we have the co-sleeper put together, just have to attach it to the bed. This means removal of my nightstand, so we won’t do that till the baby is here most likely.
  • We have the stroller, and the adaptor for attaching the carseat to the stroller is on its way.

So, the critical categories of transport, sleep, food, clothes and pee are all slowly being addressed, and I expect we'll be ready in time. We've got a little over eight weeks to the due date and I wouldn't be surprised if I go over. Some of the people in my group are due at the start of March, and a couple are going to try to induce a bit early due to various medical concerns - so we could start welcoming additional babies to the group in as few as three or four weeks!

Oh, and speaking of group babies: the one that was born waaay early back on November 8th, has gone home this week. :) Hooray for Noah Alexander! He was only 1.5 pounds when he was born at 24 weeks and 3 or 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment