Monday, February 20, 2012

Sunday Together

Martin writes:

Last week I mentioned to my manager that I seemed to be getting a lot of weekend shifts lately, with the result that I never got to spend a whole day off with Beth, and he immediately changed a couple of shifts for me. Thus I unexpectedly had yesterday (Sunday) off, and also next Saturday when I would previously have been working. I hadn't expected him to change any set shifts, just be aware of future ones so I might have a day off occasionally on a weekend without having to book a day off specially, but it was just as well, as apart from that adjustment I would have worked  five consecutive weekends, and had I not booked a day for the Superbowl, it would have been eight consecutive weekends without a single Saturday or Sunday off - and counting.

Thus we were able to have a gentle Sunday morning together, including a cycle ride along the roads to our North East. We took it slowly with frequent pauses to admire the houses, and remind ourselves how we prefer ours to any others in the area.

Back home for a quick chicken sandwich made with leftover pieces from the last chicken, and then we headed downtown to do a little shopping (a very little as it turned out), and to attend a baby carrier tutorial. We had acquired a few different options, including a Moby wrap which is both trendy (at least here in Eugene) and practical, but wanted to see them demonstrated.

The demonstrator, a local doula, went through several options, most of which could be bought in the shop where the show was being held, with help from the shop assistant and one of the attending mothers who had a six month old in a Moby wrap with her. There were three other couples, but at first it had looked like we might be the only ones attending.

The demonstration was not quite as rehearsed or organised as we had anticipated, but was useful in showing up close how these things are worn, and how to jiggle babies of various ages into their harnesses. We expect that while we are both off work, the baby will quite likely be carried in a wrap of one sort or another by one of us for most of its waking hours - at least when it isn't being fed or changed.

Sadly the chicken sandwich I'd eaten for lunch caused an upset stomach, giving me a very rough evening and night. Clearly I'd kept the leftovers too long, and the rest has been thrown out. However I've only got a half shift today and tomorrow, and a day off on Wednesday, so I should be fully recovered before I have to do  longer shifts on Thursday and Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment