Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Ugh, more nightmares

I could really do without this kind of symptom.

Last night I had another nightmare. This time it was about preterm labour, surely triggered by 1) a coworker showing off pics of his new grandchildren, 31-week twins and 2) unreasonable amounts of worrying that I am having too many Braxton-Hicks contractions (I'm not). So in the dream I was 23.5 weeks pregnant and went into labour at home. It was frighteningly detailed. About halfway through I realised (in the dream) that this baby was too early and that we should go to the hospital, and then I realised that if it was born now even the hospital probably wouldn't do anything as it was before the 24 week viability date. So Martin and I (in the dream) were talking about drug options that might make the baby stay in longer.

The scariest part of the dream? In it, the date was clearly Wednesday evening of this week. As in, tomorrow night.

I think I might be a little nervous for the next couple of days.

3 comments:

  1. I know you know that your Braxton-Hicks contractions are more than likely VERY normal, but a few things you can do to make sure...for YOUR peace of mind.
    1) Drink LOTS of water. This is crucial. I used to fill a gallon container every morning to make sure I was getting enough. It gave me a visual way to gauge how much I'd had during the course of a day. I can't stress this one more....too many women actually go through their pregnancy slightly dehydrated, and having way too many contractions because of that.
    2) when you do have your contractions, change what you're doing. If you're resting, get up and walk around, or if you're working, sit down and rest. Sometimes a change in position will also help, or a nice warm bath (but not HOT). If you drank, I'd say a glass of wine, because while I know conventional medicine says not to drink during a pregnancy, a glass of wine a day is actually good, especially if you are prone to B-H contractions. Most women will stress if they're having them, making it worse, and a glass of wine can alleviate that stress. But a cup of herbal tea will help a lot too. Just stay away from chamomile.

    Those are the big things....and if nothing else, it will hopefully make you feel better about things. I will tell you, I start with B-H from about the 4th month, and have them pretty regularly throughout the pregnancy. I used to stress BIG time, until I first went to a midwife (with Joseph, so it took until Izzlet #5 to actually figure this stuff out, lol) until I was told that some women just go through their pregnancy that way, and that generally speaking, they're not really doing anything. Most of the time, it's water, but even when it's not (because for me, it wasn't always), changing activity or position can help immensely. I know if the baby was sitting (sometimes sitting was literal! LOL!) on my cervix just right, I would start having B-H's. I could even time them (and did! As I stressed, I might add), but then, as soon as I changed my position (like getting up if sitting), they went away. It's just how my body works when a wee one is growing in there :)
    You know you can write if you have questions....and I'm still working on stories for you! I haven't forgotten :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! And nightmares are way too common during pregnancy. I had the weirdest dreams of my life whilst pregnant. I don't miss them at ALL, lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Heather! I really don't remember having them to a significant degree. If anything, I thought I was broken because I DIDN'T notice them. But dreams...yeah, for sure.

    Anyway, it's Thursday morning and I trust all is well.

    ReplyDelete