Monday, October 10, 2011

Thump, thump...is this thing on?

Sixteen weeks completed! According to the pregnancy calendar that I follow, this week cartilage starts turning to bone. I've upped my milk consumption accordingly, though I haven't read anything that says that will help. But I do need to finish this gallon before it expires, so I might as well.

I still haven't felt any definite movements, but during recent doppler sessions we have definitely HEARD thumps and bumps coming from the depths. It's really funny. The baby also moves away from the doppler sometimes, so I try not to bug him/her too much with it. The ears should be on line now, so I need to start playing more music to get the concertina-genes activated!

Our next ultrasound is tomorrow; this is a surprise one as I didn't expect to get one between 12 and 20 weeks. I had kind of figured that once the first trimester went swimmingly there wouldn't be any more perinatologist appointments until the 20 week anatomy scan. But he recommended it, and for a $5 copay I'm not about to decline a chance to get more pictures! Then after that, I have an appointment with the midwives on the 24th where I need to have an important conversation about what practices to expect during labor and delivery at their birth center. I want to decline some that I feel are unnecessary, and we may or may not be able to come to an agreement on that.

2 comments:

  1. Hard to say about milk. I drank more of it than a baby cow until age 23 or so, when I discovered it was addictive/toxic to me. Subsequently have learned that its peptides break down into opioid-like "casomorphs" in certain people, such as I. (abnormal reaction...don't worry!)
    So, the jury may still be out on my kids, who gestated without any milk input. So far...no broken bones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant casomorphins. No connection to Might Morphins, afaik.

    ReplyDelete