Thursday, September 15, 2011

An A+ Student

Baby has passed its first test. Got the results of the First Trimester Combined test today (combination of nuchtal fold measurement and a blood draw on me) and the odds are extremely low for Trisomy 18 and also pretty darn low for Down's Syndrome. There's a third component of the test which will be another blood draw in the 15th week, and I think that will just give them a bit more data on which to calculate these odds. (Edited to add on Oct. 10th - the second trimester results pushed the Down's risk even lower. Woo!)

These are the only tests we're going to do - no amniocentesis or anything else that carries a risk of miscarriage. We had discussed it and decided that we would deal with any abnormality that the baby might end up with - and I am NOT going to risk even a 1% chance of miscarriage on a test that would not change our care decisions anyway. And we recognise that our decision is not the right one for everyone, but it fits our particular set of circumstances well.

There are always risks of false positives and false negatives on all of these tests anyway. We will simply continue waiting to see what happens.

One more week till I'm officially in the second trimester (by conservative estimates). I'm told that that's when the fun begins. Well, specifically, that's when the non-fun ends for most people, as the morning sickness etc tends to ease off. But I've been very fortunate in that aspect - although my motion sickness is on overdrive, I have not yet puked, either in the car or out, in this pregnancy.

And I'm enjoying my newfound ability to sleep through (most of) the night without having to get up and use the bathroom. I'll be enjoying that while it lasts...

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear. I concur with your choice, under the circumstances. Not that it matters.

    ReplyDelete