The next half week or so is an important time for some of our friends! The mom of Ed's friend J is in the hospital right now for a scheduled repeat c-section, and if my calendar is correct then on Monday a reader of this blog gets to meet her new little one too! Best of luck T, we're thinking about you!
I'm closing in on 23 weeks now, and have gotten (I feel) noticeably bigger in the last two or three weeks. Martin says I'm just more comfortable showing it. I don't think that's the case, though; I've noticed people at work sneaking glances at my belly while they talk to me, and I don't like it! Fortunately no one has tried to touch me yet.
Edward was nicknamed "Little Fish" in utero because his early movements felt like a little fish bumping up against the sides of an aquarium. This baby has been dubbed "Night Owl" because he/she is most active at night, much more so than Edward was. It's fun to feel Night Owl wiggling around. I'm very much looking forward to seeing those wiggles in person.
The replacement midwife has fallen through - she can't do an August birth either. Apparently August is a lousy time to try to have a homebirth because everyone goes on vacation! So we're going to be having a hospital birth. I'm still somewhat disappointed, and have mixed feelings about going to the hospital. I am looking into hiring someone to be a doula this time to help me out with some particular issues that I may run into trouble with, but haven't gotten a response to my email yet - which was only sent yesterday, so there's plenty of time.
I think a doula is a great idea for you Beth! With the experience you wanted, and now giving birth in a hospital, there's not reason not to have the most important experiences you want and to have someone there to advocate for you - so you can focus on you and baby! I hope that the doula will work out. And there's plenty of time to find one that you feel comfortable with.
ReplyDeleteI like your nickname too :) and yes, tomorrow is baby day...scary!