Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Breaking Even

Nine weeks, two days today. That was the official age of Quinn when she died, based on ultrasound. Though I have reason to believe, based on what I have learned about fetal development at that stage, that she may have been a couple of days older; her hands were too developed for 7 weeks 2 days after fertilization.

However, early ultrasound measurements are very difficult to do precisely. At my 8w2d scan she measured 8w0d, which both I and the doctor attributed to the difficult of early scans (and the doctors never believe that we know when ovulation was, anyway). But now I wonder whether her overall growth was already slowing down at that point.

But I digress.

My next scan is in two days, on Friday afternoon. I was thinking about it today, and wondering whether a fetus of this age would be big enough to detect motion during the ultrasound. If it had died within a day or two of the scan, would we be able to tell? But then later on I remembered - the ultrasound wand can detect the heartbeat. A huge feeling of relief washed over me. Regardless of whether the image shows visible movement, I will know whether I can say, with certainty, that I am more pregnant than I've ever been before.

PS - By Monday I can guarantee you that I will be anxiously awaiting the next scan! Which will be on September 6th, just past 11 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment