Monday, November 21, 2011

Twenty-two weeks

Only a few short weeks away from the magic "viability" date of 24 weeks. We have no reason to think that we will need to rely on that number but it's nice to know that the chance is there if we need it.

Braxton-Hicks is the new word (two words?) of the week. These are technically contractions but not the sort that produce labour. Think of them like stretching before a tournament. It feels like a funny tingling and tension in the lower abdomen, and then if I poke my lower belly there's a definite hardness inside. I never feel kicks during these and I'm not sure if that's a side effect of the hardening or if the baby is too interested in what's going on to make any moves. It's normal to get a bunch of these a day. I usually notice one or maybe two a day, again usually while lying down in the evening. They're still in the "this is kind of neat" category; I imagine I'll get tired of them over time.

One thing I will not get tired of is feeling the baby move. The home Doppler is gathering dust, but is no less appreciated for its vital role between 12 and about 20 weeks. I am feeling kicks regularly now, particularly early in the morning and late at night. I seem to need to be lying down or at least sitting quietly to feel them. I imagine eventually I will feel them while moving around. It's such a huge reassurance to feel movement. Which, of course, is slowly turning me into one of those "how long has it been since I felt it move??" crazy people, but usually it's not too long once I start looking for it, and there's always the doppler if I'm really worried. It was especially reassuring on Saturday, when I was missing Quinn particularly badly, to be able to feel the motions of this little one.

One of my coworkers just found out that I am expecting (as in, about two minutes ago) and she was so excited that she asked to give me a hug! I am always startled by these enthusiastic reactions, but I think it's good for me to get them, and to be reminded that not everyone in the workplace will see an expectant coworker as a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment