Monday, August 8, 2011

Waiting

Seven weeks today.

Smack in the middle of my two missed miscarriages. I have no way of knowing whether the baby is still alive or has died but hasn't informed my body yet. And I'll be in this limbo every day until at least twelve weeks.

Last Thursday I was at home part of the workday due to car trouble and car-shuffling, so I decided to finally call the doctor - since I could have the conversation out of my workplace - and let them know I was pregnant, and ask if there is anyone special whom I should see instead of the standard practitioners. After a few calls back and forth I have ended up with a referral to the "Center for Genetics and Maternal-Fetal Medicine" at the local hospital. I will be seeing them on Friday (7w5d) and they will assess my background, give me an ultrasound, and do whatever else it is that these people do to try to keep a baby in place for the first trimester.

Fortunately, I was able to get this specialist treatment on my health insurance. I am cleared for up to six visits (though they can authorise more if necessary) at only $5 co-pay per visit. Some of my online friends who are going through similar issues are not as fortunate. One girl is looking at a potential $1,600 for some blood/system profiling after her two losses - and that's AFTER the insurance pays for nearly half the cost. She's trying to decide whether she can do it or not.

1 comment:

  1. I am, of course, hoping for the best of outcomes. The trepidation is completely understood. So hard to hold a zen attitude about this.

    ReplyDelete