Sunday, April 15, 2012

"Is He Your First?"

Eddie is three weeks old now, and when we take him out people are often interested in him. We get asked three questions often: "How old is he?" "What did you name him?" and the question i have always hated: "Is he your first?"

How do I answer this?

Yes, he is my first live birth.

No, he was not my first pregnancy. He wasn't even my second.

Yes, he is my first baby that I can watch breathing at night.

No, he is not my first baby that I have held.

Yes, this is my first experience with breastfeeding, changing diapers, and 3 AM wake-ups.

But it shouldn't have been.

Still - I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Birth after loss is such a complex knot of emotions. If we hadn't lost the first pregnancy, we probably wouldn't have moved to America when we did, and who knows when we might have tried for a younger sibling. If we hadn't lost Quinn, we certainly wouldn't have Edward, because the pregnancies would have overlapped. And I can't imagine not having Edward. He is so, so special and wonderful and everything I could have hoped for.

That's all a bit much to give a stranger who has asked what she thinks is a simple and innocent question. So we simply say "yes, he is."

And a little part of me hurts every time we have to say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment