Martin Writes:
Christmas Eve marks the start of our third trimester, at least, measuring by days to the "due date", though we know this is very unlikely to be the actual birth date. Little Fish celebrated the milestone by making an assymetrical lump in Beth tummy, so we could gently push the higher, harder side and decide this was head (or maybe bottom), and the lower softer side was maybe legs.
Beth continues to bear the discomforts of maternity without complaint, but with a scientist's observation of the various phenomena; tightening clothes, exhaustion, muscle aches, increased sensitivity to smells and so forth. On 1st January we switch to a different healthcare plan (but still through Beth's U of O job) so the home birth is 70% covered financially, plus any emergency treatment should that become necessary. Beth discovered we could do this, with a one month window of opportunity. As usual I am benefitting financially from Beth-research, and I am content I made a wise decision in marrying her.
It's a nuisance we have to play insurance ping-pong, but at least we have that luxury. Many families in Beth's online March birth group have no insurance and thus bear the whole cost alone, which means they are cutting corners where possible, like having fewer ultrasound scans, resulting in increased parental anxiety. Some are even considering an unassisted homebirth (i.e. no professionals in attendance), because of the related costs.
American Healthcare has a LONG way to go to be the best in the world, unless of course money is not your concern. Saying anything American is not the best in the world might be considered un-patriotic, but hey, I'm not an American.
I'm happy to say it, and I am an American. Glad you have a decent plan. May the picture improve for all!
ReplyDelete